The Courtauld Institute of Art, Somerset House, London
Sympathetic Strip Out – PHASE 1
|Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd
|The Courtauld Institute of Art, Somerset House, London
In the capacity of Principal Contractor, KpH completed this Sympathetic Strip Out, Enabling and Structural Alteration project at Somerset House working alongside Sir Robert McAlpine. The works were carried over 14 Levels across both the West Wing and Strand Central Area.
The project was managed closely with Sir Robert McAlpine to make sure full compliance was achieved with the Grade I listed status of this prestigious building. Special techniques were used to control the nuisance of dust and vibration above and below listed ceilings and walls.
Key elements of the project required a more considered approach to ensure that, wherever possible, KpH mitigated the noise nuisance to other building users. Skips were delivered and collected from site early to avoid traffic congestion and disturbance to the daily activities.
KpH worked with the overall wider team to ensure that all members of the public were kept safe and were able to continue having full access and enjoyment of this iconic London Landmark throughout the works.
Scope of Works
Initial works included:
- extensive protections to listed elements to be retained;
- the careful removal of doors, the Strip Out works throughout the building and non-structural openings;
- protection of fire places and door ways.
The follow on package included:
- the removal of the Lift and Lift Shaft Wall;
- the opening of a new Lift Shaft;
- installation of pad stones and lintels with associated brick work.